Annapolis, Maryland, is a historic and charming city with plenty to offer visitors. Whether you’re interested in history, outdoor activities, shopping, or dining, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Here are some things to do in Annapolis:
- Tour the U.S. Naval Academy: Annapolis is home to the United States Naval Academy, and you can take guided tours of the beautiful campus and learn about the history of the academy.
- Explore Historic Annapolis: Take a stroll through the historic district, where you’ll find cobblestone streets, colonial-era buildings, and charming shops.
- Visit the Maryland State House: This historic building is the oldest state capitol still in continuous legislative use. You can take guided tours to learn about its history.
- Annapolis City Dock: Enjoy the scenic views of the waterfront, watch boats come and go, and explore the shops and restaurants in the area.
- Take a Sailing Cruise: Annapolis is known for its sailing culture, and you can book a sailing tour or charter a sailboat to experience the Chesapeake Bay.
- William Paca House and Garden: Visit this beautifully restored 18th-century mansion and its lush garden, which is often considered one of the finest colonial-era gardens in the country.
- Annapolis Maritime Museum: Learn about the maritime history of the region and its importance in the Chesapeake Bay.
- Shop on Maryland Avenue: This quaint street is lined with unique boutiques, art galleries, and specialty shops.
- Enjoy Local Cuisine: Annapolis offers a variety of dining options, from seafood to international cuisine. Be sure to try some Maryland crab dishes.
- Annapolis City Market: Open on weekends, this market features local vendors selling fresh produce, artisanal foods, and handmade crafts.
- Outdoor Activities: Explore the nearby parks and nature areas like Quiet Waters Park, where you can hike, bike, or have a picnic.
- Annapolis Maritime Tours: Take a guided boat tour to learn about the maritime history, ecology, and wildlife of the Chesapeake Bay.
- Visit the Banneker-Douglass Museum: This museum highlights African American history and culture in Maryland.
- Annapolis Shakespeare Company: Check the schedule for live performances and enjoy a night of theater.
- Art Galleries: Explore the local art scene by visiting galleries such as the Mitchell Gallery at St. John’s College and the McBride Gallery.
- Watch a Lacrosse Game: Lacrosse is a popular sport in Maryland, and you can catch a game at the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.
- Day Trip to St. Michaels: Consider taking a short drive to St. Michaels, another charming waterfront town on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
Annapolis offers a mix of history, culture, and outdoor activities, making it a great destination for a day trip or a weekend getaway. Be sure to check for any special events or festivals happening during your visit to make the most of your time in this beautiful city.